Christmas is on its way, in fact, it’s less than a month away now!
Are you planning on hosting a Christmas party or Christmas day itself with the family?
If you are then this pre-Christmas cleaning checklist is exactly what you need.
Guest Bedroom Pre-Christmas Cleaning
Make sure your guest bedroom/s are cleaned for your guests or any unexpected guests, like a friend who may have had a few too many and cannot drive home.
- Change the sheets/bedding & duvets so they are clean and fresh for your guests. A quick tip to make them even fresher smelling is to wash them separately to any clothes
- Vacuum and polish the guest room to ensure the room has a welcoming scent
If your guest room isn’t used that often, it may not be as welcoming as some other rooms in the house.
- You can potentially get a few paintings or photos up in the room, maybe a houseplant or anything else you may feel is welcoming
Your guests are quite likely to be staying more than one night, therefore, they’ll need a bit of space to put their clothes and other belongings.
- Empty the wardrobe and drawers of usually, all of your summer clothes or, “I’ll take these to a charity shop one-day” clothes
- This will ensure your guest has sufficient space and will feel more at home, instead of living out of their suitcase
Kitchen Pre-Christmas Cleaning
The kitchen is usually the mingling hub in the house, especially with the mulled wine brewing on the stove, it makes it feel warm and Christmassy!
Your oven needs to be clean to ensure it’s ready for the juicy turkey or tasty nut roast!
- Buy a good oven cleaning product and follow the instructions on the label, as there are lots of different products you can use
- A clean oven will one make your food taste better, and two it won’t produce smoke that would float around the house making it smell nasty. Although, if you burn the turkey, for starters you wouldn’t be very popular and it would be your fault if the house smells bad!
You’ll most probably have to put a lot of food in your fridge and freezer so it’s time for a clear out!
- Have a clean fridge for all of your Christmas food
– Remove all food, drawers and shelves
– Soak drawers and shelves in washing up liquid
– Use warm water and washing up liquid to wipe the interior
– Wipe outer surfaces, dry inside with kitchen roll
– Dry and return the drawers/shelves
– Wait until the temperature has returned to 5°C
Having a clean and less cluttered fridge will allow space for all of the pigs in blankets, wine and trifle etc!
Bathroom Pre-Christmas Cleaning
The wintertime is the main time of year when people get those horrid colds that they just can’t get rid of.
That’s why pre-cleaning the bathroom and maintaining the cleanliness throughout the time your guests are here is important.
- Clean the bathroom from top to bottom, including; bath, shower, sink, toilet, carpet, cupboards and anything else you may have in there
- Tidy up your bathroom to leave some space for your guest’s toiletries, or if you have two bathrooms then move all of your toiletries to the bathroom your guests won’t be using. This will again make them feel at home
Living Room Pre-Christmas Cleaning
Your living room is the main social and board gaming hub in the house, with the fire roaring in the background and the smell of Christmas all around.
- Vacuum your living room carpet before your guests arrive and during their stay depending on how long they’re there for
- Vacuum all of your upholstery and cushions prior to guests arriving
- Have a general tidy up and if you have time a bit of a declutter of things you don’t need during the winter period
Home Exterior Pre-Christmas Cleaning
Ensure the outside of your house looks welcoming for your guests and any neighbours that might pop round to wish you a Merry Christmas.
- Clean your outside decorations just by wiping them with a dry cloth
- Clean your windows on the inside and outside
- Make sure, if you have a drive that you’ve left enough space for your guest’s car/s or if it’s on-street parking there is enough space for them. If you live in a city remember to sort out their on-street parking permits
If you don’t feel like you have any time to clean your home remember you can give us a call to do it all for you! You can find your nearest Merry Maids business here.