We’ve all got those items in our home that we haven’t used for a while or never used at all, well, it’s time to get rid of them, declutter and have a spring clean!
Here a few tips on how to declutter all of that stored clutter!
Organise your time
When it comes to spring-cleaning organisation is key!
If you’re not organised, or have an idea of where you’re going to start, then you will make the whole spring-cleaning task a lot harder for yourself.
Make a list of your tasks, in order of how you’re going to do them and do a room at a time. However, cut it down into smaller tasks to show the illusion that it isn’t a big task after all!
The organisation focuses your efforts onto smaller tasks, which are more achievable and, in the end, more rewarding when the tasks are completed.
Imagine a clean home
Imagine your home the cleanest it’s ever been and try and set your goal to make your house look like that!
Don’t just imagine it though, as this defeats the point!
Ask yourself four simple questions for all of your items:
- Should I throw it away?
- Do I want to recycle it?
- Do I want to give it to charity or to a friend?
- Is there any need for me to keep it?
Get into the right mindset and be brutal with what you throw away and don’t keep everything!
You never know…..
There is that one trap that a lot of us fall into and it’s the “You never know when you might need it” trap.
If you put in a pound for every time this was said in your household, you would probably be a millionaire by now!
If you haven’t used an item regularly or at all for the past year, pick it up and throw it or give it away! YOU DON’T NEED IT!
Here are some items that are usually the “you never know” culprits:
- Magazines – They stock up in your magazine rack and/or magazine box, if you’ve already read it, then recycle it!
- Batteries – When batteries are dead a lot of people head into the kitchen and straight to ‘The Junk Drawer’, where they sit, forever! If you say you haven’t got one of these, your lying, we all do!
- Takeaway menus – Yes, even with the ability to jump on your phone and get a delivery from Deliveroo or Just Eat nowadays, we still get menus through the door. Guess where they usually go…. yes, you guessed it ‘The Junk Drawer’!
- Wires – Every man on the planet has a drawer full of wires and when it’s opened they jump out at you like snakes! “I’m not throwing that wire away, that was for my Nokia 3210, you never know, I might need it again”.
Book time with your books
We bet that in your kitchen you have at least 10 recipe books, and some of you a lot more!
Do you use all of these books on a regular basis? The answer is probably no.
If you answered no to the above question, you need to go through your recipe books and be ruthless about throwing them out or giving them away.
One quick tip is to photocopy your favourite recipes and put them in one of those empty recipe books with plastic wallets.
This will help declutter your kitchen sideboard and give you more room to store more useless things! No really don’t do that! That was a joke!
For more cleaning tips and blog posts follow us on our social channels to keep up to date.
To find your local Merry Maids click here.