To quote every character on Game of Thrones, “Winter’s coming”. Well, from today I think it’s already arrived, it’s freezing!
The start of winter is the time to start cleaning specific items and areas in your house to get ready for the colder weather.
The most important items in your house during the winter are your radiators! Not sure how the majority of us would live without these incredible heat dispensing boxes on the walls!
After the accumulation of dust over the past year, your radiators will not work to their full capacity and cleaning them is important.
All you have to do is these two things:
- Use a cotton cleaning cloth and just rub around the radiator, including the top and bottom areas
- Use a long dusting brush, an extendable one is even better, and move it in and out of the top vent until as clean as can be.
With the British weather the way it is our shoes always get dirty in the winter, meaning our hallways get messy!
Here are a few tips to keep your hallway clean and not a muddy mess instead:
- Ensure you have a doormat with bristles to clean your shoes efficiently
- Put down a bit of old carpet, shoe rugs, or sheeting and place your shoes on here every time
- Always ask guests to take their shoes off.
These three tips will minimise the number of germs that are brought into the house and keep your carpets and flooring clean.
Chim Chim Cher-ee Chimney
If you have a fire to keep you and your dog warm during the winter then I would always recommend hiring a chimney sweep.
Don’t worry you’re not going to get a young boy with a peaked hat and a long sweeping brush come to your house, nowadays they are slightly more efficient and have different equipment.
The build-up of dirt and chemicals over the past year will need to be removed as these will end up being a fire hazard and potentially cause an influx of smoke in your home.
Love your laptop
Our laptop and desktop computers are used a lot more in the winter as all we want to do is wrap up warm in bed and watch the latest Netflix series.
Use these three tips to help clean your computer:
- Vacuum all of the visible vents
- Wipe all of the external surfaces with rubbing alcohol, make sure your screen is cleaned with a screen cloth
- Spray a can of compressed air into your keyboard slots and vents. You will be amazed at how dirty your keyboard can be.
Clean your cleaning supplies
You have now finished cleaning and dancing around to dare I say it… Christmas songs. Or is it too early?
After all of that cleaning, you need to make sure you clean your cleaning supplies, as you don’t want to clean with a dirty cloth!
- Fill your sink with hot soapy water and put all of your sponges in to soak, then disinfect them
- Disinfect your mop and vacuum your broom
- Replace your hoover bag and give the hoover a quick wipe down
- If your duster is detachable put this in the washing machine along with your cleaning cloths
Now after doing all of that all you want to do is sit back and relax. However, instead of even attempting to do a full house clean like this, why not call your local Merry Maids UK franchise and we can do it instead!
Find your local Merry Maids UK here.